According to the latest data published by Statistics Canada, the total value of assets in the Canadian economy rose to $10.8 trillion in 2014, up 7% from 2013. This pace of growth was slightly below the average of 8% seen over the past 15 years.
Overall, Canadians controlled 82% of these assets in 2014, with the remaining 18% being foreign-controlled. The share of Canadian assets under foreign control was down from 20% 15 years ago, and from 22% as recently as 2007.
By a significant margin, the United States controls more Canadian assets than any other country, accounting for 9% of the total value of Canadian assets in 2014 (this is equivalent to the value of assets controlled by all other foreign countries combined). That being said, its share has been falling since peaking at 13% in 2002, while the "Other" category has seen its share double from 2% between 1999 and 2005 to 4% in 2014, reflecting a diversification in the control of Canadian assets and, more than likely, the rising influence of China.
You can check out this week's viz here.